2020 Guideline for Application for Japanese Government Scholarship (MEXT Scholarship) for Research Students, Undergraduate Students, and Specialized Training College Students
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) of Japan offers scholarships to distinguished international students who wish to study at Japanese universities as Research Students, Undergraduate Students, and who wish to study at Japanese specialized training colleges as Specialized Training College Students under the Japanese Government (MEXT) Scholarship Program.
For Yemeni applicants: please follow the guideline of the Embassy in Yemen (https://www.ye.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_ja/00_000019.html).
For Syrian applicants: please follow the guideline of the Embassy in Syria (https://www.sy.emb-japan.go.jp/itprtop_en/index.html: TBA).
【Type of Scholarship】
1. Research Students
2. Undergraduate Students
3. Specialized Training College Students
Please go to the links below and read through the guideline. You can download all the necessary application forms from the link.
For general information:
1. Research Students Guideline:
2. Undergraduate Students:
3. Specialized Training College Students
【Selection Schedule for the Scholarship 2020】
*The schedule is subject to change without notice
1. May 5th (Sun): Start of receiving documents for application
2. June 16th (Sun): Application deadline *Applications should arrive at the embassy by this day
3. By the end of June: The announcement of the application screening results by email/phone
4. July 21st (Sun) : The written exams at the embassy in Riyadh (only for those who pass the application screening)
5. July 22nd (Mon): Interview at the embassy in Riyadh (only for those who pass the written exams)
6. By the end of July: The announcement of the exams & interview results by email/phone
7. Those who pass the exams & interview will be recommended to MEXT, and MEXT will conduct the second screening. The final result will be
announced sometime during the winter 2019-2020.
1. Applicants must have Saudi nationality (Those who have other nationality should contact Japanese Embassy in their respective countries).
2. Embassy of Japan will give written exams and interview by either English or Japanese language at the Embassy of Japan in Riyadh (only for those who pass the application screening).
3. Those who wish to apply for the scholarship must read the guideline carefully and get all the required documents delivered to the Embassy of Japan in Riyadh by June 16th (Sun) Incomplete applications will NOT be considered. The submitted documents will NOT be returned to the applicant.
4. Do not submit the original certificates as submitted certificates will not be returned. Copies are acceptable if the copies are attested by the authority concerned.
The Mailing Address of the Embassy of Japan:
Culture Section, Embassy of Japan
A-11 Diplomatic Quarter, P.O. Box 4095, Riyadh 11491
Note: Online application is not available: we cannot accept applications electronically.
Late application will not be considered. As snail mails can be delayed, please be sure to mail it much earlier than the deadline.
It is also possible to deliver the application documents by hand: please pass the documents to our security team at the Embassy's gate between 8AM and 5PM Sunday through Thursday. Write on the envelope [Attention to: Culture Section].
【Frequent Asked Questions】
1. Do I have to submit my photos with the application?
- Yes, under any circumstances, submission of your photos is necessary. You may wear hijab, shemagh or ghutra.
- It is mandatory for you to take the Japanese exam to be considered for selection.
- Please note that under the MEXT scholarship program, the allowance and plane ticket fare will be covered only for the student who passed the exam and the screening. If you wish to bring your family to Japan, Japanese government will not pay for his/her visa, allowance or plane ticket fare. Visa processing time and necessary documents may vary depending on how you are related to the family member who wishes to go to Japan with you.
- No, the exams and interview for Saudi nationals will be held only at Embassy of Japan in Riyadh with no exception. Application forms also have to be sent to Embassy of Japan in Riyadh.
- No, we cannot make any exception to be fair for every applicant.
For further information, please contact Cultural Section *English and Japanese only